This is an ancient monastery built during 14th and 15th centuries, crumbled and surrounded by a fabulous natural environment, which is located in the Valle de La Murta (in the vicinity of the town of Alzira). This monastery belonged to the Ieronimous Order, being an important centre of culture, spirituality and pilgrimage of royalty, aristocracy and influential figures of the time.
It is said that in 568, under the Visigoth King Leovigildus, San Donato and his Africa´s fled hermits, founded in the Valley of Miralles (later called Valle de La Murta) the Servetanin monastery, which during the Arab occupation in 715, was demolished and the monks dispersed, returning to the valley later under Christian Times. But the truth is that the Servetanin monastery, according to archaeological research, was in Ercávica (Cuenca) and the origins of the monastery of La Murta are documented from the late 14th century. It was around the year 1370 when Alzira´s knight Arnau de Serra, lord of these lands, with the authorization of the king Pedro the Ceremonious, he donated to a group of hermits established in the valley, with the condition of founding a religious community that lived under Saint Ieronimous´ Rule. (Monastic religious order cloistered and contemplative orientation, which emerged in the 14th century in Spain and was closely linked to the monarchy, so the kings of Spain favoured it much).
Pope Gregory XI granted Founding Rights in 1376, but under the protection of the Monastery of San Ieronimous of Cotalba, beginning constructed according to the Benedictine Rule. The architect of the original building work was Jaime Gallent, Master builder of the of Valencia City ( he participated in works such as the Portal de Quart, the Trinity bridge and the Real Palace) .The great cultural and architectural development of the monastery was due to visit Saint Vincent Ferrer, after which began to occur donations from illustrious families of Valencia, among which highlighted the Vich family and Villaragut family; also providing substantial grants the Catholic Kings, Cardinal Cisneros, etc.
In 1835, following the Disentitlement (Church Confiscation Process), the monastery was closed and in 1838 passed into private hands, starting a process of abandonment and spoliation of their property until their total ruin, being almost swallowed up by the nature. This state was what sparked the historical and literary attention, being one of the places that has provoked more literary incursions between all the Valencian monasteries. In 1989 it was acquired by the City of Alzira and since 1995, is in the process to be recovered and restored, and both, the convent and the surroundings, are considered Protected Natural Reserve.